Saturday, November 16, 2019

Chi Ranch Joy!

A lap full!
What is the perfect medicine to shake off sadness and frustration?  Texas Chihuahua Rescue!  My friend Trina was going out Saturday to put in a shift and let me tag along.  I was very excited, and wow, it was even cooler than I imagined!  First I sat on a low bench in an outside kennel area with six of the sweetest little dogs ever.  Two were quite young, their paws still kind of pudgy.  Two were tan and shy, and two were black and lanky, like Poppy! My lap was a nest of wiggling sweetness.  I could just feel my face grinning and my whole spirit fill with joy and relief. 


After a nice long while of snuggling with this pack, I moved around to see all the other dogs.  What a riot!  I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was so struck by their unique personalities!  Some were tender and cautious, others bold and immediately friendly, some were barky while others didn't make a peep.  And no, I wasn't tempted to adopt one.  Poppy is my one true chihuahua love for now.  But someday....

These two started out really shy, but not for long!
This place has an incredible record of getting dogs adopted.  And the dogs there were so well cared for that I didn't feel the sadness that I've felt when visiting shelters.  This is clearly a very happy group of dogs.  That said, the dogs have no idea of the cozy futures that await them in their foster or adoptive homes!  It reminded me of when Poppy came into our world.  When we petted her she would close her eyes and put her head back as if it was the most amazing thing she'd ever experienced.  Now the little turkey takes it all for granted, and good for her, each little pooch deserves that sense of comfort and security.  

Who would have guessed that I would get to have such a cool experience here in San Antonio!?  My hope, is that all my friends and family get to have their own version of visiting the Texas Chihuahua Rescue.  What kinds of beauty and sweetness are just waiting for you to discover them?  I am grateful for how this trip to Texas has opened up new joys and connected me with people and passions.  And I will be so glad to return home to see my little family and my little dog pack!





No comments: